Friday, February 10, 2006

Worlds End - London - 1210 GMT

Made it back to London last night and after a bit of a rest, met up with some friends for a few pints and a good curry. What a tremendous London experience. Many beers, many glasses of rioja (I'm told most people drink red wine with curry, just another thing to like about it) and layers upon layers of tastes. Some of the dishes I remember:
Plain and spicy popadums
Pickled lime
Yogurt and coriander
Chicken Tikka Masala
Chicken Biryani
Green garlic chicken chilly
Lamb madras
and other assorted lamb, chicken and vegetarian dishes just coming at you from all sides. A great evening with friends and coworkers with a definite London bent to it.

One thing about the culture here; there are still a great many smokers and the pubs and restaurants are all very smoky. My clothes end up impregnated to the point I have to put them in plastic bags as far from the bed as I can get them in the hotel room and then shower before I go anywhere near the bed so as not to get the pillows and bedding smoky as well. I was in a grocery today getting food for my walkabout today and thought it was still me but it was little old ladies walking by me.

Today I'm in a neighborhood called Worlds End (how can you not like a name like that?) in Chelsea and walking East up King's Road. I don't have a destination in mind at all, I just thought I'd take this in and then head to the British Museum for a bit this afternoon and try and catch the England v. Italy rugby later this afternoon. Not sure if I want to get all smoky in a pub or pick up a couple beers and snacks and spend it in the hotel to avoid some smoke for a day but I'll probably end up in the pub, after all how often do you get a chance to take in rugby in London surrounded by real fans?

Tomorrow, I've been invited round to John and Mary's for a Sunday roast and wine then the Scotland rugby (big supporters they are; John one hopped down to NZ just for a match between Scotland and the All Blacks and they hold season ticket to Murrayfield in Edinburgh for the games although they live in London). I have to be careful though, they hurt me last night and I have a bit of a hangover today even though I slept until 0930. I thinks it's time for a pint...

Not much more at this time but I'll update you all again soon

No comments:

 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner