Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Tuesday Tuesday

Got home and took the dog for a walk and I'm enjoying a lovely Evesham Wood pinot as I contemplate the lovely evening and what to have for dinner. I stopped @ my local cheese shop and picked up some special order guanciale they got from Salumi for me, mmmMMM! Nothing like yummy pig parts but now I need to figure out what to do with it. Check it out here under the product listing; http://www.salumicuredmeats.com/.
Last night I whipped up some gnocchi w/ fresh sage cream and opened the Evesham Wood. A fine meal but would have been better with some crispy rendered guanciale I'll wager. I may just settle for goat cheese w/ some hot soppressata from Salumi and Mama Lil's tonight.
Henry will return tomorrow for a couple days and I'm looking forward to that time with him. We spoke last night and he seems so positive about everything right now, it's really wonderful to see the difference in him this school year. I have another weekend without him this week so I'll get some more stuff done around the house, trying to catch up on fall cleaning and then on some movies and such that Henry can't see.
I'm reading so many articles you've all been kind enough to forward my way regarding the New Orleans debacle. Pleased understand that my rant earlier in this blog still stands, those reporting that it is not the Feds responsibility but the responsibility of the local and state gov's are partially right but after the feds saw that the local and state dudes were unable to render assistance and come to the aid of the people who were following the rules and staying out of trouble, the feds should have stepped in. Taking 4 days to get drinking water to these people was reprehensible regardless of fault. If the feds had moved in after 48 hours and pushed the locals out of the way and took over, I'd say it was the locals problem, but the fact remains that the blame falls on everyone associated with any authority from the locals to the feds. I am very ashamed of Louisiana and my country regarding how this was handled.
I am however very proud to say I'm an American when I look at how the common people of this great land of ours have come together and worked for the greater good. Many putting aside long help prejudices and ingrown morality to help those around them that have been affected. Many have given what they could not have even imagined giving only days before and so many people are reaching out. I find that many companies are matching donations just like my employer and the show of support I last heard from the "charity" football game last night (11 million! Way to go NFL fans!) has been truly awe inspiring. These are great times to be a parent as we can share this overall sense of giving, sharing and goodwill with our children. What a tremendous lesson they can take through life

No comments:

 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner