Monday, September 24, 2007

24 September 2007; 2150 GMT - 2

Greetings All,

Amsterdam rocks!
It is a very interesting city and there are so many things to see that are so very old. Don't get me wrong I love London too but there is a certain raw intensity here. There is absolutely something for any taste here. Absinthe is legal and holds a place of honor at certain bars, one ofwhich is where I'm staying; 3 different brands behind the bar and by word of the bartender, each has it's own very special effects. Coffeehouses can't sell beer but they can sell their produce and it can be brought into the bar and the sweet aroma is everywhere. It is not to be partaken walking around but once night falls it is apparent not only when walking past an open coffeehouse door.
I got packed up as I have a 0730 train to Beziers tomorrow. I then took a walk through the red light district and it is a very strange phenomena. The ladies beckon and there is a different sort for everyone. Certain areas seem to cater to the various tastes as well. Women walk through the area alone, roaming packs of rowdy men, families, etc. I saw a man take his children into a sex shop yesterday and it seemed to be nothing new to the people inside nor the family as I continued my walk past.
My vice is still beer though and the Dutch like to drink int at all times of day and you can wander the streets here with an open beer. Although there is hard liquor in all the bars, I have yet to see anyone orderone and I've been in several including the one where I'm staying at the Bulldog Hotel (bulldoghotel.com).
My train is the regular to Brussels tomorrow and then the high speed to Paris Nord where I have to transfer across the city on the metro to Paris Lyon (70 minutes) and then high speed to Beziers again. Once I get in I'll call John and he will come and get me if they have not had too much to drink yet or I'll take a taxi to the estate apparently it's only about 10 minutes from the train. I found a grocery and bought a bottle of wine, a baguette, a couple apples and some farmer cheese for the ride. Although it will be a lng ride, I'm looking FW to it especially if the e\weather is clear so I can see the Dutch, Belgian and French countrysides. As interesting as the "culture" is here in Amsterdam, I still like walking and sightseeing more than anything.
Today I got up, had breakfast here and then walked to the Anne Frank House where strangely it was not nearly as depressing as I had thought it wou.ld be. Twisting hidden staircases and no ventilation (I think they kept it that way to remind those touring the house that was how it was for 3+ years) but it was a lot larger than I expected it would be even for 8 people living there. Then isstarted to drizzle so I ducked into a bar and had a big Heineken and waited out the storm. I toured the Rembradt House and then had a nap and a couple tylenol as I think the jet lag was doing me in. Caught the canal tour through the harbor and upthe Amstel River and through some of the main canals and two sea locks. I took a lot of photos and then stopped for some Indonesian noodles and returnedto the hotel. A full day again but it is a much nicer place than I expected. A friend had told me that amsterdam is a pit but I loved it, then again I love cities and all that comes with them.
That's about it for now kiddies, I'll see if John has a computer with him in Beziersand if so I can update daily, if not I'll have to wait until I can get into town.

Signing off now, it's 2230

No comments:

 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner